On Tuesday night, I think I gave myself food poisoning. I still haven’t ruled out the possibility that I got a stomach flu or something, but I think I poisoned myself. I’ll start by saying that food doesn’t keep in my apartment. I’m not sure what it, if it’s the food here, that the fridge isn’t cold enough or that my apartment is small and not well ventilated, but I’ve had stuff go bad faster here than ever before.
I’ve had carrots go back in like 3 weeks, I’ve have sweet potatoes go bad in a month, I’ve even had ginger go bad in my fridge in about a month! Seriously! Back in University, I had cooked meat in my fridge for like 4 month. Not only did it not go bad, but I made an omelet with it and I didn’t get sick!
I’m still unsure the cause of my illness. If it’s food related, it could be due to frozen chicken (unlikely), spinach, sweet potatoes or mushrooms (that sorta had a thin film of fuzz, but I washed it off). The mushrooms are my primary suspect. I also suspect milk. Regardless, it caused me to get a fever, exhaustion and mad indigestion. Because I read Into the Wild and I’m a bit paranoid, I decided to make a bunch of multivitamins to help me fight off whatever was ailing me. I figured it was worth a try in case the culprit reduced my body’s ability to absorb nutrients (leading me to my eventual death, like in Into the Wild [Sorry, spoiler warning, I guess, if you haven’t seen or read or heard the story]).
Luckily, now I feel much better. I’ve thrown out all my perishable food, and I’ve eaten only rice (and rice porridge), a bagel and apples since Wednesday. I’m still sorta angry at the limited time food stays non-deadly in my place though. It probably has something to do with sealing all the windows with plastic to stop the wind from blowing through (thank you terrible insulation). I like to think it’ll get better as the weather gets warmer and I can reopen my windows, but it’s pretty unlikely. Maybe I’ll just need adopt a safer food policy. Maybe…
Yet another thing to add to the already voluminous file of “stuff that’s totally my fault”.